Monday, December 13, 2010

East, West, South and Holes

Since we've moved I've been taking the dogs for a walk, this is supposed to be an exercise walk for me but during today's walk I realized I've gained weight since I started walking them again for my exercise. I also realized that not only am I not maintaining my weight, but I'm not stopping to smell the roses either. What's a walk without smelling roses?
Joe's favorite hole

Watching Joe today made me slow down and look around, he is fully engaged when he walks. He checks out the same hole every morning. Every single walk there is something about this hole that beckons Joe. He looks and looks and digs and digs and pops up with wet dirt all over his nose.

Joe and the Canada Geese

Then there's the geese. Just recently the Canada geese have taken up "summer" residence in the open fields right off the parkway. Joe is intrigued by them, once again, every morning. It seems this morning they have become sort of used to us...no taking flight today.
Yet another hole to explore!

Joe gets left behind often because of the aforementioned holes

So here I am trying to get in my exercise and I'm continually distracted by the Corgis and the geese and the hawk flying so low overhead we nearly bump heads, and I just happen to look up, and I take in the snow on the Sierras, there's a lot up there now. And, I listen to the traffic humming on Pyramid Highway, and take in the barns left over from the ranches that were once a part of the valley.
East of me stands this old tin barn
West of me the traffic
South stands the Sierra Nevada and Mt. Rose






2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. It shows the past, present and the beautiful Sierra Nevada, the forever - and cute little exploratory Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, dramatic (for want of a better word) area. Your photographs are wonderful--especially in the most current post with the snow dusting things. It is fun to know someone else has a "Pumpkin" Corgi. Pumpkin's breeder named her and I liked the name and kept it. Happy Holidays!

    Melissa at Darby's Daily

    ReplyDelete